Thursday, November 18, 2010

"One liners" adds Joel.

I love how certain things are worded, especially in music. Actually, I think it's one of my favorite things about sound. It doesn't sound like much, but "I spent two years alone with you" from Justin Pierre is so simple and perfect to me. Everyone has felt that way, but worded the way it is just gives it a different feeling. The first time I heard that line I knew I loved it, even though at 17 I could only act like it pertained to me.
Where I'm going is this: I have a collection of songs that I love because they're great, but a specific selection are great AND have that one line that I don't seek out, it runs into me. And those songs I listen to ALL the time.
I wanted to share on my blog, that is only read by me, the newest edition to the family of great songs (with that one line) that I usually keep to myself.
My buddy Joel just put a CD out called "The middle of everywhere." The song, "The middle of everywhere" is my newest add. The line comes in the acoustic breakdown of the final chorus: "I just wanna be close to you and leave out all the other rules. I'm walking a hard line, it runs down the middle of everywhere…" Again, simple and perfect.
The melody of the way these lines are delivered are key too. I have to feel like, "What!? How have I been missing this song for so long?" The first time I heard Joel sing these words was long before they hit me. He first played the song acoustic at his house, but it him me the night of his CD release show. Perfect, Joel.
I feel weird talking about Joel and his music sometimes. Joel is a really good friend of mine. He's that friend that will open up to you, and let you open up to him. If he can be, he'll be there for you. So, it's weird saying how good he actually is because you have to be nice to your friends. But damn, Joel could blow up my Grandmother's house and I'd still truly feel that he is the best new musician that I've heard in a long time, and especially in Anderson, Indiana.

Updates on Joel

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joel is so talented! :)

Anonymous said...

NO TAYLOR LINES?! ...just kidding haha

-SAMN-

James Layne said...

-yes..he very much is!

-Samn..come on. You know it's nothing personal haha.

Anonymous said...

Come around more than ONCE a week!? YES.

-Samn!-