Monday, October 25, 2010

Speak Now Thoughts:







I've probably listened 6 times all the way through by now. Throughout the day I would write down my thoughts:


-1 through 6 are perfect. I felt like she was heading towards "Fearless" status…. and then song number 7 happened. More on that in a minute.

-The last song on the album is really good.

-Quit comparing it to "Fearless."

-Overall "Fearless" is better.

-Goodbye to any form, or slightest hint at being country music.

-This album is way too long. People already know she is overdramatic about losing love, now they're going to hear about it for over an hour with 5 songs being over 5 minutes long and two of those songs are 6 minutes! That's usually how you can tell when someone writes their first album with no help. That was definitely the case with "Speak Now." Nathan Chapman didn't even step in to say it was lengthy because Taylor had a plan for this album. If some of these songs (that are really good) weren't as dragging I'd love it more.

-If she left off 'The story of us' and 'Better than revenge' it might have helped out as well. I can't figure out what the hell she was thinking while writing those songs, and then recording them. She's not Hayley Williams. She's not Miley Cyrus. She's not Boys Like Girls. She is friends with all of them though. Still…those two songs absolutely suck!

-'Innocent' is awesome. The only thing that sucks is I'll only think of Kanye West when I hear it. She should stop promoting the songs the way she does. But who am I?

-'Dear John' is awesome. Even though it's almost 7 minutes (and I just talked about it being too long), it's the only exception to the lengthy songs. It doesn't feel long. It feels real. It's easily the best song on the album next to 'Mine' 'Last Kiss' and 'Sparks Fly.'

-Too many breakdown bridges.

-Hopefully her next album isn't conceptual.

-Her voice is extremely better than any other album she's been on. Now if she could just show that live people would only have one thing to hate her about. She used tons of auto-tune i'm sure, but she warmed up tons and tons of hours before recording too. But that's a different story. I still like that she sounds like a bad version of an American Idol contestant that only made it to the third round. She's much bigger than just a voice that can't sing well live. That's another story as well.

-I'm still saying a Million sold in a week.

-Getting used to the length? Hmm

-I hope she gets a new band soon. They all still look like jackasses.

-She shouldn't have abandoned Liz Rose. I can see now that Liz is probably the person that tells Taylor she needs to get to the point while writing a song.

Even though it is too long, Taylor wrote a pretty solid album for what it is (with the exception of 'the story of us' and 'better than revenge.') The songs that are good…are really good. I was just expecting a little better. And I'm not sure I'll ever get over the way I felt when 'Better than Revenge' and the 'The Story of Us' came on. I would love to know what the hell she was thinking when she thought those two songs fit in her discography.

If I had to grade this album I would give it a B -

No comments: